REMOTE FIRST / PERMANENT / FULL-TIME
Who are we?
At Qflow we’re on a mission to transform one of the world’s most pollutive industries: Construction. We help them cut waste and reduce their carbon emissions by providing construction and development teams with the data driven insights they need to deliver productive, profitable, and sustainable projects. Our team combines construction experience with software engineering and cutting-edge data science to deliver real-time alerts to risks and opportunities during construction.
After successfully raising an oversubscribed Series A investment round, our technical team is now growing. We are seeking a talented Senior Engineering Manager who is eager to contribute to building a sustainable future. If you are passionate about sustainability, believe that with cutting-edge technology we can address tangible issues, you value radical transparency, unstoppable tenacity and encourage collaboration and curiosity within your team, this opportunity is tailor-made for you.
Which is why we need you
We have an amazing, highly skilled and dedicated engineering team, and an exciting product roadmap. We are looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to join us and lead the technology strategy, execution and people management on this exciting journey of growth. You would own everything related to the technical delivery of our product roadmap – identifying the game changing opportunities and how we leverage them to accelerate the transition of construction to a more responsible, sustainable industry.
In this role, you'll engage with various teams throughout the organisation, fostering engineering collaboration with product, commercial, finance and operations. Additionally, you will play a key role in the Senior Leadership Team and report to the CEO.
What will you be doing?
Work with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) on Engineering progress, risks and opportunities
- Advise on and evangelise technology trends and opportunities ensuring the SLT are aware of the threats and opportunities offered by external technological developments, in both the construction, and general technical domains, and work with the SLT to address these threats and opportunities.
- Help maintain alignment, obtain resources, manage expectations, report progress towards business goals and ensure predictability of delivery to all stakeholders.
- Acquire information and context from the SLT (especially product, sales, marketing, and customer success) to ensure that the customer needs are at the centre of what the engineering teams do.
- Advise on and evangelise technology trends and opportunities ensuring the SLT are aware of the threats and opportunities offered by external technological developments, in both the construction, and general technical domains.
- Provide engineering thought leadership within the SLT, reporting to the SLT and board with business-level communication. Have an opinion on the landscape and what technical approach will best position Qflow to win.
- Ensure strategic decisions are inclusive of the wider business context taking into consideration commercial, product and operational factors as well as technical.
- Make (and own) commercially impacting decisions related to engineering and technology.
Translate the business and product strategy into an engineering strategy
- Work closely with the Product and Commercial teams to align the Engineering strategy to the product roadmap and vision, inputting into future iterations of the strategy and roadmap.
- Communicate the overall business strategy to the engineering team.
- Manage and own the budget for the strategy and its delivery.
- Take accountability for and ownership of on-schedule delivery of the strategy and own end-to-end technical oversight of the engineering team.
- Manage and own risks and ambiguities.
Provide technical leadership for the Engineering team, creating a culture of continuous improvement
- You will take over leadership of a 9 person strong team of engineers and data scientists, with a £1m+ budget to manage in 2024.
- Work closely with the Senior Engineering Manager to create a culture of excellence by 1) recognizing team’s strengths and weaknesses and placing members into positions best suited to their strengths; 2) developing high performers; 3) supporting the implementation of engineering best practices.
- Ensure good information flow, high cooperation and trust among teams; encourage and support learning.
- Work closely with the Senior Engineering Manager to establish a systematic, structured approach to sourcing and assessing candidates and design an engineering organization that can scale based on strong culture and principles.
Lead the adoption and continual improvement of best practices for the Engineering team
- Provide technical oversight and support the overall system architecture, working closely with the team to create world class technology, harnessing best practices and empowering the teams to deliver excellence.
- Develop and run strong Agile/Lean culture that fosters bottom-up innovation flow, fosters and enables team experimentation and technical excellence.
- Actively and regularly seek customer feedback and incorporate this feedback.
- Drive focus on value provided, not work done.
- Provide oversight of the end-to-end technical product and own end-to-end technical oversight of the engineering team and practices.
- Improve the culture surrounding Security, Quality, Customer Delight and Code Hygiene.
We always support colleagues to develop their skills. But to be successful in this job you need to already have most of these things…
- A strong sense of self awareness and motivation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams; a real team player.
- Strong customer centric focus to development, taking a wider commercial approach to technology strategies.
- Strong leadership experience with software development teams, including coaching and mentorship, and the ability to set challenging (but realistic) goals to achieve the business strategy.
- Be ambitious and pragmatic. In a fast-paced scale up environment, we continue to refine our strategies and capitalise on new opportunities to achieve our goals. You need to thrive in an environment which requires ambitious but pragmatic leadership, and to ensure that you build in enough flexibility into the roadmap and architecture to support with and manage change as and when it is required.
- Technical domain experience - ideally building and managing cloud-hosted B2B SAAS applications.
- Experience in working with complex data pipelines and architecture.
- Experience working in an engineering leadership role in a fast-growing start-up or scaleup and therefore familiar with volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity of growth stages. You should have the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities. Ideally, you have been through the transitions from start-up to scaleup and beyond.
- Experience in hiring exceptional team members.
- Strong experience in an engineering environment, with a focus on leading technical strategy development and accounting for broader business factors, such as budget, within this.
- Expertise in one or more of our core programming languages, such as Python, C#, Typescript or related languages.
- Experience in SaaS, quality and security and knowledge of the technical role in Legal and compliance: IP, Data transfers etc.
It’s a bonus if you also have the following:
- Experience in the construction industry or machine learning.
- Supported expansion into international markets before.
- Experience being part of a leadership team going through venture financing.
Qflow's Tech Stack
💸 Salary between £140,000 and £180,000 + equity, dependent on level of experience
🏡 Remote-first team (we enjoy meeting up from time to time in our London HQ and we would love to see you there too!)
💻 Company laptop and tools
🏝️ 25 days annual leave + 3 days company closure at Christmas + bank holidays
🤒 Paid sick leave
🩺 Private medical insurance
🏥 Critical illness and life insurance
💰 Pension contribution up to 7%
👥 Enhanced family policy
🙋 Paid volunteering days
🌎 We’ll offset your annual carbon footprint on your behalf via Ecologi
📚 Learning & development and career progression opportunities
🤩 Company social events (online and in person!)
Creating an environment where everyone feels valued, respected and heard is at the forefront of everything we do. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status.
We created a culture that extends to all aspects of our operations, including step-free access, as we believe that everyone should have equal opportunities to access our facilities, services, and digital platforms.
Important Notice: No Recruitment Agencies
We kindly request that recruitment agencies refrain from contacting us regarding this job posting. We are solely interested in direct applications from candidates. Any unsolicited communication or resumes received from agencies will not be considered or acknowledged. We encourage candidates to apply directly through the provided application process. Thank you for your understanding.